Who We Are…
|Church Office & mailing address:
Salem United Methodist Church
If you have suggestions, additions or corrections for the
To be a Community of Disciples living a life of faith that reflects the will of God.
We the people of Salem United Methodist Church are chosen to present a ministry of Gods Word that is true to the Scriptures and relevant to the world in which we live.
We seek to be followers of Jesus Christ and his mission to bring all people into a community of Christian love.
We will carry out his mission through creative teaching, thoughtful prayer, faithful service, joyful worship, and cheerful giving.
We will seek to hear Gods call through the voices of all people.
We will learn to care for each other, share laughter and love, and rejoice in Gods gift of fellowship.
We envision a church that embraces a foundation of traditional Christian beliefs.
We will seek to bring the unchanging message of Gods salvation through grace to our community and beyond.
A covenant people
When you join a United Methodist congregation, you become a member of
the total United Methodist connection. Members promise God and the congregation
to uphold the church with their prayers, presence, gifts and service.
A diverse community
United Methodism was formed when the Methodist Church and the
Evangelical United Brethren Church merged in 1968. United Methodists trace their
spiritual heritage back to 18th-century leaders including John and Charles
Wesley, Jacob Albright, Philip Otterbein, Martin Boehm and Francis Asbury.
All persons are welcome in the United Methodist Church. We are firmly committed
to inclusiveness. We celebrate a diversity of people, ideas and cultures and are
enriched by our broad history.
Biblical in faith
United Methodists trust free inquiry in matters of Christian doctrine.
Our faith is guided by Scripture, tradition, experience and reason. Of paramount
importance is Scripture. For United Methodists, the Bible is the record of God’s
people living out God’s promise.
Mission-oriented, socially conscious
United Methodists are mission-oriented and socially conscious. This is
important to our faith. We are aware of world events and strive to help those in
need. United Methodists are one in faith and tradition with the Methodist
Christians around the world.
For generations, United Methodists have cooperated with other churches
to spread the gospel, care for those in need, alleviate injustice and foster
peace. In national and interfaith groups, United Methodists reach beyond our own
churches and communities to express concern and to share God’s love with people
of many faiths.
For more than 200 years, the United Methodist Church and its predecessor
bodies have expressed concern for the sick, poor, orphaned, aging, impaired,
oppressed and the imprisoned.
Our church participates in the struggles of women, people with physical and
mental impairments, and racial – and ethnic – minority persons, helping them
attain equality in the church, the economy and society. United Methodists
positively influence society through responsible social action.
United Methodism took form as an organized church in this country during
the revolutionary period of our history. Its structures parallel those of the
United States government. Church leadership is shared by executive, legislative
and judicial branches. Representative bodies carry out functions at local,
regional and church-wide levels.
The highest legislative body – the only organization that can speak for the
church – is the General Conference. An assembly of up to 1,000 delegates, it is
composed of equal numbers of laity and clergy and meets once every four years.
Delegates are chosen by regional units (annual conferences) throughout the
United States and 15 other nations. Non-voting representatives come from
affiliated churches in 25 other countries.
Annual conferences respond to needs in their regions by developing programs and
ministries that carry out the work of Christ and support the policies set by
The United Methodist Church continues its strong evangelical heritage.
Within each congregation is a vital center of biblical study and evangelism – a
blending of personal piety and discipleship.
The History of Salem United Methodist Church – Fond du Lac
1854: Salem United Methodist Church began as a mission on the Lomira Wisconsin Circuit of the Evangelical Association when a circuit rider preacher asked to extend his circuit into the city of Fond du Lac. All members of the Association were of German origin so only German-speaking people were sought. A ‘Class’ was formed and prayer meetings were held in homes.
1864: A conference committee was chosen to find a church for this ‘Society’ and report at the next conference session.
1865: The ‘Society’ purchased the church from the Methodists. On September 5 this congregation was incorporated into the mother church as ‘The Fond du Lac Church of the Evangelical Association of North America’.
1901: A new brick structure was built on the site.
1912: Church name was changed to ‘Salem’s Church of the Evangelical Association’. In 1922 it changed again, to ‘Salem Evangelical Church’.
1913: First of 55 annual Sunday School Banquets was held.
1920: Church extensively remodeled with two new entrances, office, dining room and kitchen.
1939: Salem entertained Conference for the fourth time.
1951: Purchased J.B. Atkinson Home as site for new church. Became known as ‘Salem Evangelical United Brethren Church’ after merger with United Brethren denomination.
1952: Cornerstone laid for present church.
1964: Note burning ceremony was held. Church debt was retired in eleven years from dedication. An aluminum steeple was erected.
1965: Salem celebrated its Centennial.
1968: Church name was changed to Salem United Methodist Church following the merger of the Methodists and the Evangelical United Brethren.
1980: When the old brick church was demolished, Salem recovered the 1901 cornerstone. It is now part of the new rear entrance at our present church.
1988: Fellowship Hall was remodeled with addition of movable partitions to form five meeting/class rooms.
1989: Salem celebrated its 125th Anniversary since Incorporation.
1999: The ‘Handicap Access Project’, last of four major improvements to the church; Organ, Sanctuary Roof, Sanctuary tile and carpeting, was completed providing access to the church from the parking area at the rear of the church.
2003: Salem UMC and Lamartine UMC were merged, effective January 1.
2014: A last worship service was held on Sunday, August 31 at Salem United Methodist Church-Lamartine.
2015: Salem United Methodist Church of FDL celebrated 150 years of ministry on October 4, 2015.
The History of Salem United Methodist Church – Lamartine Building
1857: Lamartine Methodist Church was organized by the Presiding Elder of the Fond du Lac District. Worship was held in homes and the schoolhouse.
1859: The first church was built at a cost of $700.
1867: The church added a front vestibule, closets and an upstairs room, which was used as a dining room, all at the considerable cost of $1,600. Oyster suppers were cooked on heating stoves for many years.
1881: A new parsonage was built directly behind the church replacing the building erected when the church was built.
1903: A system of pressure-gasoline lighting was installed in the sanctuary and vestibule, replacing the old kerosene lamps. The entire church was redecorated and the stained glass windows were installed.
1918: The wood steeple was blown down during a windstorm. The base was preserved and used for speakers for carillon bells.
1920: The church was wired for electricity for $75.00. Money came from sale of the horse sheds, which were no longer needed.
1946: The church was raised and a full basement was put in.
1949: A Hammond electric organ was installed and dedicated.
1953: New oak floors, 14 oak pews and 2 choir pews were installed.
1957: A special service was held to commemorate 100 years as a congregation in the Methodist Church.
1977: A celebration of the 120th year of the Church was held.
2003: Lamartine United Methodist Church, in its 146th year as a congregation merged with Salem United Methodist Church and will now be known as Salem UMC of Lamartine.
2007: Salem United Methodist Church of Lamartine celebrated its 150th Anniversary of Methodist Ministry in Lamartine on Sunday, June 24.